Monday, September 01, 2008

The Korean Art of Apple Cracking

About a month ago, I went to one of three convenience stores where I have a good rapport with the owners, all women. One woman, after I had purchased a few things, took a Granny Smith apple and before my eyes, cracked it open with her own bare hands! I was in awe! She then offered me one of the halves and sent me on my way. I've been wanting to "crack" the mystery ever since.
Below is my first attempt at doing it. We all tried it on our way back from Busan a couple of weeks ago.

Here is my second attempt.


Finally, last Sunday I was with John and Keith and I wanted to show them this amazing woman. We asked her if she could demonstrate her amazing talent and she insisted I could do it too, ignoring my protests. Here we are attempting it together.
Oh my God! I can't believe it! I rock! The art and mystery of Korean apple cracking has been mastered.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leita,

It's been a pleasure reading your blog. It's great reading about your adventures in South Korea. I am so happy to be here , and I can't wait what this experience will have in store for me. I hope that I will learn a lot while i am here, and I'm sure that i will because that is one reason why i am here.

I wish you the best when you are in New Zealand. I hope that you will enjoy it as much as you did in Korea, and even more.

Take care, and thank you for the mini table. :)

Vai Yu

Anonymous said...

Hi Leita,
It pays to be stubborn, finally you cracked the apple. Congrats !
Do I know where you got these grimaces from ? Look at yourself when you are putting pressure on something.
Keep on writing, I find your short stories very interesting. I love to seat back on my long chair, in the comfort of my home and feel that I am visiting a new country. Let me know about your next destination.
Anonymous.

Anonymous said...

Leita,
We have not heard from you lately.
What's up?
Where are you, what are you doing?
Anonymous

MounFouNomad said...

I love this. For so many years I have wandered this Earth in search of the apple twisting powers you possess. It was in the fog covered school yard of my formative years where I first saw this feat, produced by a mere child of 11. I was in awe. From that day forward I was motivated to reproduce this uncanny act of physical prowess myself... and was never successful. Now your video has renewed my hopes! I shall be an apple twister... without using my nails... which I always feel tawdry afterwards for doing...
Thanks for sharing!

L said...

I'm happy to see you here Jeff! Just happened to take a look. Hope you've accomplished your goal of opening up that apple! Let me know!