Friday, October 27, 2006

E.V. Personal Observations

  1. When you order coffee at a cafe, sugar comes in liquid form. I'm not sure what plant the sugar here comes from, but it's a cool concept that I have not seen used on such a wide scale before.
  2. Ashtrays here are either filled with coffee or white napkins. This prevents the smoke from continuing to float after people have finished smoking and therefore prevents any extra smells. I think everyone should adopt this system! In addition, though many men smoke here, the restaurants are not very smokey and people don't smoke in your face. Most people smoke in the street but not so much in restaurants. I've heard that they will soon ban smoking in all restaurants though some restaurants have banned it individually already.
  3. Gingko Biloba trees are everywhere here! They are beautiful trees with leaves that look like little green fans that produce a fruit which looks like a yellow cherry. The fruits have been falling from the trees that line almost all streets in Seoul recently and you can find older men and women picking them up everyday. I've found out that they often roast the gingko nuts as they would chestnuts and that apparently it's good for the health to protect against something or another. (Dad, I will let you explain to everyone what the health benefits are because I remember you being the first person to once talk to me about the gingko biloba; just sign up and post a message) I must say this though... for the longest time, whenever I was walking home in the afternoons I would smell what smelled like vomit always in the same spot and I thought it was pretty disgusting but having grown up with all kinds of smells in Haiti, I never thought to ask. I later found out that ripe gingko nuts, when they have splattered on the sidewalk and the sun has baked them a bit, give of the wonderful smell of vomit, just in case you needed a little pick-me-up. It was a revelation...
  4. The older women in this country are called hadjimas, or aunts. They are referred in this way by all people as a general sign of respect to the elders although some Koreans have told me that it's no longer acceptable to call them such. I'm in a constant state of confusion because some people say some things are okay and others say they aren't... An interesting little observation Lori led me to discover is that when walking up hills, hadjimas will walk backwards in order to keep from getting too tired. I saw this one day and it was a pretty strange and yet very cool site. In Haiti, people walk in a zig-zag manner. It's so amazing traveling, you guys. You end up noticing the slightest little things that make this world so incredibly diverse and interesting.
  5. The Fall here is amazing. It only started getting colder this week (October 23ish) and we've had a few showers but apparently Korea is known for having an average of 4 sunny days to 3 overcast days. I tell you, those odds are better than those of Strasbourg for me. All ready, in the two months I've been here, I've seen more sun than I did in 4 months in Strasbourg. Thank God for that!
  6. The rainy season here is not in the Spring, as most would think, but in the Summer like in Florida. Guess why? In the summer it's typhoon season and therefore they can get torrential rains and it gets really humid as well. We'll have to see about that...
  7. I have noticed a few times now, a great big cauldron filled with bugs that are cooking in the streets of Insadong and have realize that they consist of Bondegi, silk-worm larvae. The smell is atrocious but my curiosity is great. I will let you know when I have mustered up the courage to try it.
  8. Learning Korean is so hard! I take 7 1/2 hours of Korean a week and I'm not moving nearly as quickly with it as I had hoped. I'm afraid that I will not reach my goal of understanding 50% by December but I'm not giving up! The Koreans seems impressed with my progress but I still feel bogged down by it. It does feel good to be able to ask for milk at the convenient store though!
  9. The food here continues to amaze me. The more dishes I try, the more I'm falling in love with the food and the side dishes! People here are surprised that I tend to gravitate towards all the spicy dishes. I guess they aren't used to seeing foreigners grab the green peppers and bite into them as though they were carrots! But I will speak of food another time.
  10. The people here continue to amaze me with their kindness and generosity. I have started to get even closer to the female Korean teachers here and I'm finding them such a welcome addition to my life. There is an easy bond here that has formed in 2 months in Seoul that I didn't find in 3 years in Strasbourg. It's funny how people are. Don't get me wrong, I did make some good friends in Strasbourg, but it was a long process and it was only as I was preparing to leave that my friendships started to solidify. The friendships here are solidifying at an amazing rate and I've been invited to spend a weekend hiking in a mountain close to the hometown of one of the teachers in 3 weeks. Her family lives in one of the oldest cities in Korea and I will hopefully get a chance to visit that city as well. I'm really excited as I have not really left Seoul since getting here.
  11. And lastly, I am still enjoying my classes. The diversity of the students and the levels of the classes are a pleasure and though preparation takes a long time, I'm trying to mix things up and have incorporated music days where we listen and dissect music by Bjork, Sting, Brian Adams, The Cranberries, Sheryl Crow, Robbie Robertson and Sade. It adds some spice!
  12. Keep the comments coming guys! I love to hear what you think!

4 comments:

L said...

What do you mean you moved to Sweden?! I thought you were living in Illinois and bought a house and everything?! Tell me all.

L

Elo said...

Je vois que tu essaies toujours tout!! C'est génial!

Je vois aussi que tu veux repasser ton permis de conduire en corée... Combien de temps comptes tu rester?

En tout cas bravo pour ton aventure!

Gros bisous

Elo

L said...

Thanks to all you guys for your comments! It's good to see that people are enjoying my blogs and my adventures!

L

alowenthal said...

oK.. so know that i've read this post I understand the coffee grinds in the ashtray in your photo gallery so ignore that posted question I asked... as I was reading I kept thinking...how amazing it is that you can keep such amazing track of your experiences like this...MY SUGGESTION: you make these observations into some sort of coherant story like article...and send it my way...I will submit it to the travel section here at the Herald and see if we can't make u some money for these skills of yours...maybe even a Korea with Leita weekly col or something...let's get a proposal together and some sample writings and see what we can do about that.
love you my talented sista!!!