Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Fortunes and Futures Part 1



About one week after Solal weekend, Seung Ah took me to my first fortuneteller! I’ve always wanted to go to one, but I’ve never had enough money and was always wondering whether it was worth it. This experience was very interesting. He wasn’t a fortuneteller per se, instead he did Chinese fortunetelling which is basically mathematical. He asked for my date and time of birth and with that gave me information about my past, my present and my future.

I’ll let you decide whether he’s any good. Here are his predictions about me.

My Past:

- He thought I moved or changed jobs in 2005
- I haven’t had a boyfriend since 2005
- I started to try to make money on my own since 2002 and I didn’t have any real financial trouble
- The financial trouble I perceived I had stemmed from the fact that I was unwilling to accept help from my parents so that’s why I struggled
- I had some trouble in 2006
- I was fated to leave my home in Haiti
- I have had bad luck with men

Who I am/My Present:

- I’m good at managing and teaching; I’m good at conveying information to others
- I have a hard time getting close to men
- I have a strong sense of justice, but society has a hard time following me
- I have a strong personality and I need to control my environment
- I don’t want to have children unless I’m in a stable relationship
- I’m more interested in happiness than in money
- My luck is described by two seasons: Summer and Spring
o Positive, active personality
- I’m eager to learn and to work
- When I meet a guy, I push him away, that’s why it’s difficult for me to be in a serious relationship
- Being a teacher is a good job for me


My Future:

- I won’t have a boyfriend in 2007, but my luck with men will slowly improve in the coming years
- I’ll meet a new group of people this year
- I’ll be studying and will keep learning things for the rest of my life but I won’t get any recognition for it from outside sources
- In 2008-2009 I’ll have a good man and boyfriend in my life, but it will only last for two years
- In 2012-2013 I will meet the man of my life and will ‘marry’ him (keep in mind that in Korea, living with someone implies that you are married because it is not acceptable to live with someone without being married)
- The boyfriends I will have in the future will be friends who will develop into more because I have a hard time getting close to men
- I’ll be traveling a lot in my life; journalism is a good job for me; I’ll never stay in one place for long
- I’ll be changing jobs every 2-3 years because it is what I will wish to do
- I’ll have financial luck in the future
- By the age of 40, I’ll be dissatisfied with my job and will have many offers with different companies that I will refuse because they will not mirror the kind of life I will want
- I will have kids, but I won’t want to depend on men
- I’ll have some problems with my colon and my joints and lungs, but nothing serious
- I’ll be traveling my whole life
- I’ll live a long life

So guys, what do you think? The only extra information I gave him about him was the fact that I came from Haiti. I also objected to his statement about my finances in my past. I found that a lot of the things he told me about my past were not accurate and I told him that I did have financial trouble and that’s when he added the bit on how it was because I refused help from my parents. He also knew that I teach here and that I want to be a journalist, but I didn’t tell him about all the traveling I’ve done nor about the traveling I wish to do in the future.

I didn’t tell him a word about me and my relationships so that came purely from him.

It was quite interesting all in all. I’m not sure I felt as though he was the real deal, but to be fair, he wasn’t quite the fortuneteller with a glass ball etc. He used the Chinese astrology counting system so he did a whole bunch of calculations and this is a field that people study, not that they are naturally born with. In addition, the fortunetelling was done in a brightly lit café where people order drinks and chat with chill music in the background…not at all the dark dingy little corner room I was expecting. I know, I know, I’m a bit on the overly creative side of things.

So I leave it up to you to decide what you think of what he said based on what you know about me. Seung Ah will take me to a palm reader she knows in the near future. I’m curious to compare both people’s prognoses about me. How similar or how completely different will they be? In addition, I’d be really interested in delving into the more obscure and naturally psychic world of fortunetelling to see what those people, with the natural talent, will have to say about me. Are they mind readers, do they really sense something from another world? Are they pulling things out of their asses? What’s the deal? I hope you enjoyed my little experiment. Tune in next time for Part 2 of Fortunes and Futures.

Love,

L

No comments: